As I said earlier in the blog wiring this house is quite a challenge as it's a 3d property. I was fine doing the ceiling lights but it was the extra ones that I didn't think of like the nursery lamp, the standard lamp and fire in the living room and the table lamp in the hallway...
First I had to work out a route to take the wires to the back. In the case of the living room I had to drill down through the floor in the corner behind the tv and take the wire down and along a groove underneath the house. Next another hole was drilled up through and onto the side 'pathway' - this involved taking up 'slabs' I had already laid - much to my annoyance - Then I stuck down a copper tape run and connected the wires to that. The 'slabs' were relaid - albeit it abit bumpy here and there - but I can live with that.
At least we now have a working fire and lamp.....
In the nursery it was just as tricky! The wire here needed routing to the back of the house too (at this stage I was really wishing I'd thought ahead more) so I spent quite some time looking and thinking, trying to puzzle out which would be the best solution and one which would make the least mess! Gradually I came up with the idea of getting the wire up into the 'attic space' above...but how?
The picture below shows the location of the said lamp. This room is at the front of the house......
Firstly I removed the piece of skirting board next to the door architrave - thankfully it was only wedged in as it was a tight fit - then I drilled a small hole through to the landing and took the wire up the side of the bedroom door and on up to the ceiling where I made a hole to take it up into the attic.
From there I was able to run it along the attic floor and take it through to the back of the house where I connected it to the copper tape run. I also had to remember to make a hole in the skirting for the wire and I attached a tiny plug and socket.
Drilling down from the attic floor was a nightmare in itself, making sure my hole came out into just the right place! I wouldn't want to do that again in a hurry....Below you can see where I had to take the wire up in the corner between the two doors on the landing... it's not ideal but even in real life this is what often had to be done if a new light or socket was needed somewhere. It's much less noticable than this as the photo is very close up.... (need to fix that wonky picture rail - that's the trouble with taking big pictures!)
So having tackled these two lighting issues I thought I may as well carry
on and try to do the hallway table lamp too. Again lots of thinking and planning.......my next post will tell you all about that one!