Sunday, November 02, 2014

A new cooker for the kitchen

I've been looking for a suitable cooker for this kitchen for awhile. I seem to remember ours in the fifties was more modern than the very old fashioned gas cookers that are available in miniature. With this in mind I opted for one from Elf Miniatures rather than the Phoenix white metal one.

This one is the nearest I could get in similarity to the one we had at home.
I think it looks ok back in the corner there.

I've added a few bits to the kitchen cabinet too.

So this next photo is how the kitchen is looking up to now.

Just the fourth wall to finish off now and a few more accessories.

Making up some kits.

To ease myself back into mini-ing again after the summer I made up a few kits that I'd bought ages ago - some from Jane Harrop, some Phoenix white metal ones and one from Elf Miniatures. The white metals ones are always abit of a headache for me as the pieces are so very tiny - however I've managed them and I'm pleased with them.

First I put together this little chair., it needs painting yet and will go in the childrens' room - a chair was my only bedside table when my brother and I were growing up so this will do the job nicely.

Next I made up a tiny stool and box to go in the kitchen. Jane's kits are lovely to do. You do need a gluing jig though to keep the parts properly aligned and square but she has some great, authentic little things.

 I thought a cardboard box would come in handy for under the sink...

And onto the Phoenix kits.....

The Ascot water heater looked difficult and that's why I've put it off for ages - all those tiny pieces! I couldn't even find it at first, that's how long it's been. Anyway it's turned out ok, though unfortunately I didn't have much space left when I came to add it to the kitchen - it's a little too near the curtains for my liking but I'm thinking that health and safety weren't as strict then as they are now!

Ever since I saw the Phoeonix coke stove/back boiler made up I knew I would like it in this house as it's identical to the one we had at home.

 I've painted it the same colour as ours was and put in a red bulb and left the ash grate door slightly open. I have memories of our cat Dinky snuggling up to sleep against it, she used to get so close that her tail singed!

The Delph cupboard I made up is amazing. It has glazed, sliding doors and a sloping front which were quite in vogue at this time. I struggled abit with it, gluing it together back to front at first (don't ask me how) but my hubby noticed it - I hate that - but I'm glad he pointed it out before I got any further on in the building of it...

I painted it blue (nothing matched in our house) and filled it with crockery.

Shelf lining. We always had shelf linings.

I love the way the doors slide and the front of the cupboard slopes.

So that's it for the kits at the moment. I have some easy chairs to do for the dining room but they'll have to wait as I need some suitable material to cover them. 

Electrifying continued.....

The hallway table lamp was next in line to be electrified...again this was an afterthought and for a long time it has been stood looking pretty but unlit!

This time I routed the wire along behind the skirting board and again addded a little socket and plug.
 Once I had the wire through to the pantry, heading in the right direction for the back of the property, I drilled a hole down through a corner in the pantry floor where it wouldn't be seen underneath the tiles.

This took the wire underneath the house where I covered it with sticky back carpet to protect it and which also helps when I need to move the house around with it being 3 dimensional.
So now I have a lovely lit lamp in the hallway.

Whilst I was in the hallway I added the stringer to the side of the stairs and a few  'oak' beams.

I think the hallway is just about finished now (famous last words)

A view from the stairs through to the front room.